Enjoy this continuing series as we follow Jonna and Doug through the design and build of their family’s new Kenilworth home. This time, we learn about Pickell’s proprietary Seven Signature Review.
“One of the strongest benefits of choosing a design-build firm,” offers Orren Pickell Building Group president, Lisa Pickell, “is the way we all work together to make sure everyone who will touch the home is on board before we go to permit.”
The propriety Seven Signature Review brings a representative together from each department to comb through a “check set” of drawings and specifications. This includes:
- Architecture—As the architect has been working through all the details, has anything been missed? What opportunities stand out to other members of the team?
- Project management—Do they see any potential challenges to the schedule, available resources and other issues?
- Cabinetry—Are there any proposed solutions that might create a challenge for the other teams? How can we address that now?
- Estimating—As the estimate moves from ballparks to more concrete pricing, what possible issues stand out? Estimating can also provide a heads-up if certain materials or finishes have been coming in above or below their usual costs.
- Construction supervision—Can the home be built as designed? What hurdles might be encountered? What should be considered to enhance the final product?
- Trim carpentry—Are there any millwork or cabinet installation red flags in the design, or any opportunities for improvement?
- Warranty—All of our homes include a warranty, so we want to make sure everything is expected to perform up to our high standard.
Every participant looks at the plans from their unique perspective, raising potential issues and asking questions.
It’s not until everyone at the table is satisfied that the design is ready and any updates have been incorporated that we move forward with with printing plans for the permit application and bid processes. “We know we’re stronger as a team,” adds Lisa. “And this important step helps head off surprises for us, and for our clients.”