Before the Build
- What is a custom home?—A custom home is the home of your dreams! You design and build the home you want without compromise and without having to settle for someone else’s idea of the perfect home. At Orren Pickell Building Group, we strive to make your dream home a reality.
- We’re building a custom home. What questions should we ask potential home builders? A quality custom home builder should be able to show you examples of relevant work and provide references to clients with whom they’ve recently worked. Ask to see their book of work to get a sense of their design and construction diversity. If you’re interested in a particular style home — like a Cape Cod — ask to see multiple examples of similar homes they’ve completed. Also, ask the potential custom home builder if they have a set timeline for their design/build process. At Orren Pickell, we’ve found that the more time we spend in the design and pre-construction process, the smoother the project will go. The more details we can determine ahead of time, the more accurate pricing will be, and the better we can avoid potential slowdowns.
- Can we afford to build a custom home? Certainly. As most of our clients realize, a luxury custom home is an investment for a lifetime. Our affiliated financial experts at various lending institutions are up-to-date on the marketplace and can provide valuable insights into available packages and what is most appropriate for you. We are always happy to introduce potential clients to these financial professionals — if you’re interested, please let us know.
- Does it make sense financially to build a custom home? A custom home should be considered an investment for a lifetime, and at Orren Pickell Building Group, we have built our reputation on offering exceptional quality at an affordable price. We take great pride in the lasting value that Pickell homes retain over the years — and in the competitive real estate market, the Orren Pickell name is considered a valuable and enticing asset. When you choose Orren Pickell, you engage a leading home designer and builder with over 40 years of expertise to design, build, and expertly maintain your home, preserving its beauty and quality for years to come.
- When should we put our current home on the market? The timing of when to sell your current home is entirely your decision. That said, we find that many of our clients often build a custom home when they have six months or more to sell their current home.
- How can we be sure the builder we’re considering is financially secure? It’s vital to protect your largest investment by working with a financially secure builder. Talk to your own financial institution about obtaining information and credit history from the prospective builder’s bank. Check with the builder’s past clients. Talk to a reputable title company. Ask individuals in the real estate community.
- How long does it take to put the financing together? Over the years, we have compiled a list of lending institutions that share our values, offering excellent customer service coupled with the best products for the client’s specific situation. These include vacant land loans, construction loans, bridge loans, and end-loan mortgages with fixed to variable interest rates.
- With two full-time careers, can we really find the time for custom building? Yes — if you choose the right builder. If you have busy, hectic lives, you simply cannot build with a company that requires you to take control of your project personally. At Orren Pickell Building Group, we take the lead in your homebuilding experience, leading you through the process. In fact, we’ve successfully designed and built custom homes for clients who were away in other parts of the world during the entire process! We are just as invested as you in making your custom homebuilding experience enjoyable.
- How does the builder make this detailed, important, and sometimes overwhelming process easier? It’s essential that you choose a custom home builder that emphasizes communication and transparency. At Orren Pickell, we know the custom home-building process can seem overwhelming. Rest assured that our award-winning team is here to make your project an enjoyable experience. Not only do we track each home in progress, but we will give you your own password-protected website to utilize throughout the duration of your home-building project. The site will show you architectural plans, photos of your home as it is being built (your superintendent will take new digital photos periodically), give you a live, up-to-date timeline, and remind you of what essential selections need to be made.