FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Orren Pickell Building Group Offers Six Must-Do Resolutions for the Home
December 20, 2013, Northfield, IL
Northfield-based Orren Pickell Building Group has developed a list of New Year’s resolutions for the home. Some can be accomplished by homeowners while others will take a reliable professional team. “It’s natural for people to make changes in their homes at the start of the year,” says Orren Pickell, president and CEO of Orren Pickell Building Group. “Based on our thirty-plus years of experience we’ve developed the following resolutions to help homeowners enrich their environments in smart and cost-effective ways.”
- Ready the fireplace. To prevent buildup of creosote fireplaces need to be cleaned out frequently. Also, the chimney should be inspected for obstructions and cracks. Never burn trash, paper or green wood in your fireplace. Seasoned wood is best.
- Make sure your home is safe. Make sure your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors are working. Get your furnace checked, too. For emergencies, create an escape route and keep a list of emergency telephone numbers.
- Create an awesome playroom. Remodel a third floor dormer or turn the basement into the perfect romper room. When picking materials think like a kid. You’ll want floor surfaces like foam tiles—versus concrete, for example—that provide a soft landing. Make sure there’s plenty of light, too. Caves can be fun, but a bright room is welcoming and a lot safer, too.
- Save more energy. In the winter months, it’s tempting to keep the lights burning bright. But you can save money and help the environment by becoming savvy about energy use. Unplug appliances when you leave for vacation and turn off the lights when they’re not in use. Replace old appliances with new, more efficient models.
- Go green. No need to wait for summer to begin to incorporate eco-friendly elements to your home and reduce your carbon footprint. Use your dishwasher versus washing dishes by hand. Turn the temperature setting down on your water heater to 120 degrees. And fix that pesky leaky faucet, too. According to the EPA, ten percent of homes have leaks that waste 90 gallons or more per day.
- Remodel that bathroom already. A bathroom update can lift spirits and increase your home’s value as well. Consider easy-care—and non-slip—flooring as well as an electrical update to accommodate high-powered appliances like hair dryers and straighteners. Consult with the pros who can save you money and time not to mention costly do-it-yourself errors.
About Orren Pickell
Orren Pickell Maintenance Group can help you achieve all or some of your home’s new year’s resolutions. They’re available 24/7 and have years and years of experience. No job is too big or too small. So whether it’s that leaky faucet you want repaired or you’re ready to start on that dream kitchen you can count on the dedicated attention and support of the Orren Pickell team.
The company continues to lead the industry in design, innovation and unparalleled customer service. For more information, please call 847-572-5200 or visit pickellbuilders.com.